$2.50 Indian Gold Quarter Eagle Coin History:
The $2.50 Indian Head Gold Eagle is perhaps the most sought after Quarter Eagle gold coin to ever be produced by the US Mint. Its unique design and the different minting techniques used to create this coin make it a spectacle to behold, especially for those interested in 19th and early 20th century US coins. The US Mint has produced a large number of gold coins throughout its storied existence, but few are more popular than the Indian Head design. Coins produced nearly a century ago are almost always going to have some element of rarity, but these coins also boast extremely high gold content capable of catching the attention of investors who want to put their money into something a bit more off the beaten path of coins produced nowadays.
The Indian Head gold coin pieces (Pratt-Bigelow) were identical in design. One coin produced by the United States Mint was the two and a half dollar piece, also known as the quarter eagle. The quarter eagle was struck from 1908-1915 and again from 1925-1929.
$2.50 Indian Head Gold Eagle Coin Specifications:
- Minted in United States
- Minted from 1908-1915, 1925-1929
- Face Value $2.50
- Purity 0.900 fine pure gold
- Gold content .1209 troy oz.
- Thickness 1.14 mm
- Diameter 18 mm
- Obverse: Shows a Native American man facing left wearing a headdress. The initials BLP are directly above the date. The word “Liberty” directly above the head and encircled with 13 stars representing the 13 original colonies.
- Reverse: Features a majestic standing bald eagle on top of a bundle of arrows with an olive branch. The words “United States of America”, “E Pluribus Unum”, “In God We Trust”, are placed around the eagle along with denomination $2.50 directly below.
Gold coins, like the Indian Head Gold Eagle, minted in the U.S. prior to 1933 possess not only gold’s tangible value, they also make a brilliant addition to any collection. The appeal of pre-33 gold coins is centered on gold’s reputation for being a sturdy investment, and enhanced by the value of rare and historically significant coinage.